Photographer

My photo
Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada
I am happiest when I am out with my camera. Always looking for the bright side. Usually I find it! Please contact me via comment if you wish to use any of my photography. Thanks for stopping by.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

AKA Rainy Haney


Maple Ridge is fondly nick named by the locals, "Rainy Haney".

Nestled right up against the coastal mountains, riddled with sloughs, and bordered by rivers. Maple Ridge is in a temperate rain forest, so massive downpours are not unusual. Our kids made up the name Rainforest Ridge when they were little.
One day this week it rained over four inches in less than an hour. Days like that , our front road looks more like a river than a road, more like a stream than a street! There are benefits to the rain. Every thing gets a good wash down, the air is cleared and the foliage in the region is as lush as anything in the Amazon!
If you go to my personal website, I posted a video there of the rain drumming on our patio cover! I am mesmerized by the sound of it and never get tired of sitting on my patio and soaking up the rhythm of the pouring rain!

4 comments:

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

you can keep your rain
:)
we've had enough of it over here in the last week to last a lifetime!

Anonymous said...

Shame Australia's not getting any of these downpours.

Planet Earth Daily Photo.

photowannabe said...

That's a lot of rain in an hour. I like how it cleans the air but too much can be as bad as not enough. I do like the sound of it beating on a roof.

Chris said...

I'm with you - I find rain to be incredibly relaxing & calming. Must be our English blood! Tonight our weather radio keeps going off with severe thunderstorm warnings & I'm rubbing my hands with glee!